Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Back from Vacation

Sorry for the little break there.  I went on a couple of quick trips.  The first was to NYC and was so much fun (despite the sweltering 98 degree heat).  We were only there for an overnight stay, but we had a great time.  We walked up 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, and Park Avenue heading toward Yankee Stadium.  Eventually my flip flops started to hurt enough that we picked up a train in Harlem to go the rest of the way to the stadium.

The game was fun, but it was so hot I had trouble concentrating.  I also missed the first pitch which was a homerun!  Sure it was a homerun for the Blue Jays, but still!  The best part of the game was people watching (and drinking water).  There was a huge group of kids a couple rows down from us and they just kept getting up to get more food the entire game.  It was amazing.  I couldn't stop watching.  What were they going to get next?  Oh, baseball hat sundaes.  After that?  Pretzels.  Then? Peanuts.

The next day we spent the morning wandering around Central Park and making our way toward the Museum of Natural History.  We decided to spend the last bit of time we had in the city there because at 9:00 it was already 90 degrees and we wanted some place cool! 

We grabbed some street food (falafel for me!) and headed back to the hotel to pick up the car and head home. 

The next day we flew down to Florida to pick up some things at my grandma's house, including her car, so that all the things we wanted would be out before it sold.  It was not a fun trip.  I really just wanted to stay down there and refuse to leave.  Obviously, I didn't.  I really don't like being too hot.  But I did forget out nice expensive electric toothbrush and new toothbrush heads!!  I couldn't believe it. 

So now that we're back and things are settling into a routine again, I am back working out.  I am having some minor setbacks running.  I've been doing the treadmill this week because we've had rain, but my left knee has been bothering me a lot.  It makes my hip hurt, too.  I don't like it.  I am used to my right knee bothering me from an old injury but this is new.  It didn't start until I began running outside.  I guess I'll do more stretching to see if that helps.  If not, I suppose I'll be making some kind of doctor's appointment.

My most recent goal was to run a mile in under 9 minutes.  I did one in 8:54.  My new goal is going to be to run 5 miles.  The most I've done at once (outside) is 4.3.  Since I started running outside I had a really hard time running on the treadmill.  I feel like I've gone miles and miles and when I check, I see I've barely gone 2 miles.  Usually I end up running a mile, doing intervals, and then running the last half of a mile to make it to 3 miles.  So since I'm doing better outside, I'd like to try to up the miles there. 

I need new sneakers also, so there will be an upcoming post about that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment