Friday, June 27, 2014

Achievement Unlocked: 5 Miles

Yesterday I set a goal for myself.  Today I achieved it.

I set out to run 5 miles this morning.  The Library has started it's summer hours so we open an hour later.  This means, while I still have to be there by 9:00, I can show up right at 9:00 and not have to worry about rushing to turn things on an open up.  I felt like I had the time to push for 5 miles and recover (meaning: stop sweating before my shower) before I had to be at work.

What a success.  When I reached my normal turn around point, I just kept going.  I wasn't sure where I was going to turn around, but I went around a couple of more bends in the road and up another small hill before turning around.  I also ran past (very slightly past) my usual turn for the final stretch home because of oncoming traffic. 

By the time I ran up to the porch and stopped, I had gone 5.5 miles!!!  I couldn't believe it.  The other major shocker was that I had done it in 53 minutes!  The entire run I felt like I was going slower than my usual pace.  It was kind of intentional because I wanted to take it easy on my knee, but I also didn't want to burn out and not reach my set goal.  So, it turns out I was on my normal pace.  Amazing.

I finished up with a 10 minute walk on the treadmill to cool down.  I think this helped my knee tremendously.  Before, I would finish my run and just stretch out.  But walking and cooling down for a while then stretching seemed to be better for me.  I couldn't figure out why when I'd run on the treadmill my knee wouldn't hurt, but it would after a run outside.  The only difference I can figure is usually when I finish running inside, the show I'm watching isn't over so I walk until it is.  It worked for my knee today.  I'll have to see if it keeps working.

My next goal is to buy new sneakers.  I can really tell how much I need them.  The arches of my feet are starting to ache and cramp during the day.  The usually is the telltale sign that sneaker change is long over due.  I am looking at Mizuno brand right now (I currently run in a pair of Brooks).  Hopefully I can find a pair that don't break the bank!

Achievement Unlocked: Run 5 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment